[CLUE-Tech] Scalable Vector Graphics on Linux?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Mar 4 20:31:56 MST 2003

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 18:24:21 -0700
mgushee at havenrock.com wrote:

> On 4 Mar 2003 at 17:09, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> > However, on one of the tangents this little task has taken me on, I've
> > discovered that RH (or somebody) has used Adobe Illustrator to make
> > SVG files for some of the screens (such as the gdm login screen
> > background). Ignoring the question of why these open-source types
> > aren't using open-source tools for this,
>
> Ugh. I don't envy you. Bein' as SVG is XML, which makes it kinda my
> specialty, I periodically run around the net checking out various SVG
> tools. And I have to say the general state of the art is mediocre at
> best. Adobe's tools seem to be better than most--not surprising since
> they were the most influential vendor in developing the SVG spec--but
> are still a ways from perfect.
>
> > I've found:
> >   http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/
> >   http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
> >   http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/frontline/
>
> Yeah. I've heard of these but haven't tried them. Other tools I know
> of:
>
>   Sketch    http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
>     A Python-based, Corel Draw-esque drawing program. Worth having
>     for general use, but its SVG support is still fairly primitive.

Hmmm. Worth having even if I already use The Gimp? I suppose having a more
lightweight proggy around might be worth it, for simple stuff. Since it
isn't too large, I guess I'll try it out.

>   OpenOrifice
>     I believe the drawing program can export but not import SVG. But
>     possibly you could get by with converting the original to EPS,
>     editing it in OO, and exporting back to SVG.

I never think of OO for stuff like this. It's worth a shot, though.

>   Amaya    http://www.w3.org/
>     They claim you can edit SVG with it, but I have never been able
>     to figure out how the %@#&*() to make it do that--and it
>     sometimes crashes when I try to *view* SVG.

Really? I thought it was just a reference implementation for HTML.

>   KIllustrator ?

Yeah, it came up on a search someplace too, now you mention it. I don't
have it, unless it's on the Knoppix CD.

> Or maybe you could convert to Fig format using ... I don't know,
> there must be some tool to do that, edit in XFig, then convert back
> to SVG. Or if you're brave, you could just open the damn thing up in
> Vim and edit it as text. After all, SVG is just an XML dialect.

Heh. First thing I did was pull it up in Vim. Heck of a way to edit
graphics.

> Happy SVG adventuring!

Yeah. Yet another file format to learn to work with. Sodipodi works, BTW.
It's kinda klunky though.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl