[CLUE-Tech] Scalable Vector Graphics on Linux?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Mar 5 07:49:05 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 20:41, Ed Hill wrote:
> How about ImageMagick?  As "man ImageMagick" shows (as of v5.4.7), it
> can read and write SVG files.  It seems that it currently doesn't
> support conversion of raster-based images to SVG format but the
> conversion of SVG to raster:

SVG to raster requires that you render the vector into a bitmap (or
pixmap or similar) and then save the pixel data.  Fairly straight
forward.  Raster to SVG means you have to examine the pixel data and
find what looks like lines and connected pieces - a far harder thing to
do.  The only tool I know of that does this is AutoTrace, and I don't
know the level of success it has at doing so.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com