[CLUE-Tech] Scalable Vector Graphics on Linux?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Mar 5 10:37:33 MST 2003

On 05 Mar 2003 08:43:59 -0600
"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 18:09, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > However, on one of the tangents this little task has taken me on, I've
> > discovered that RH (or somebody) has used Adobe Illustrator to make
> > SVG files for some of the screens (such as the gdm login screen
> > background). Ignoring the question of why these open-source types
> > aren't using open-source tools for this, my question is which
> > open-source proggy would be good for manipulating them.
> >
> I guess I need to advertise my web site a little more:
>
> http://www.graphics-muse.com/cgi/gmcat.pl?id=16
>
> That will get you to the Vector subdir in my Graphics Tools catalog.

Man, you need more google juice! ;-)

Seriously though, I'll have look through the Gimp stuff. I'm always happy
to find more tutorials.

FYI, Gyve is a dead project now.

> > Does anyone have any experience using SVG (particularly creating)
> > under Linux? Any tips?
>
> Actually, no.  I don't do much vector stuff because the tools for Linux
> are still too primitive.  The one with the most promise is a commercial
> application called Artstream, but to my knowledge they never released a
> public version, just beta's.

After running through 4 of them now, I agree. Of those I've tried, only
Kontour wouldn't open the image, and only Sodipodi rendered it the way it
looks at display. I wasn't able to do any useful manipulations of it in
Sodipodi though.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl