[CLUE-Tech] Scalable Vector Graphics on Linux?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Mar 5 07:43:59 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 18:09, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> However, on one of the tangents this little task has taken me on, I've
> discovered that RH (or somebody) has used Adobe Illustrator to make SVG
> files for some of the screens (such as the gdm login screen background).
> Ignoring the question of why these open-source types aren't using
> open-source tools for this, my question is which open-source proggy would
> be good for manipulating them.
>
> I've found:
>   http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/
>   http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
>   http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/frontline/
>
> DMOZ (open directory) lists this:
>   http://qfsm.sourceforge.net/about.html
> but I don't think it's a graphics program, however it sounds kinda nifty
> for something.

I guess I need to advertise my web site a little more:

http://www.graphics-muse.com/cgi/gmcat.pl?id=16

That will get you to the Vector subdir in my Graphics Tools catalog.

> Does anyone have any experience using SVG (particularly creating) under
> Linux? Any tips?

Actually, no.  I don't do much vector stuff because the tools for Linux
are still too primitive.  The one with the most promise is a commercial
application called Artstream, but to my knowledge they never released a
public version, just beta's.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com