[CLUE-Tech] Terminal Crash Madness!

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 7 17:57:13 MST 2003

On 07 Mar 2003 17:35:50 -0700
Chris Terry <tuba_man at attbi.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but I've got an addition (since it just happened again).  About
> once every half an hour my screen blinks like it's changing video modes,
> and then comes back normal.  Anyone else ever experience this?

Yep, ever since I upgraded to RH8.0. I think there must be something funky
in XFree, because I'm also experiencing some strangness with keyboard and
mouse event handling, such as holding the shift key while executing
multiple arrow or mouse movements. Normally (i.e. pre-8.0) this would
result in multiple selections (in a list box, for example), but now it
appears the an unshifted event is getting interspersed, resulting in the
"back" of the selection jumping forward. I can't drag-to-select in Rxvt at
all, but this behaviour isn't there immediately upon starting X -- it
takes a while for it to start happening. I've noticed (I think) that it's
more prevalent when running KDE, but it still happens when running neither
KDE nor Gnome, but just plain old Fvwm. It happens in both Gnome and
"regular" apps.

As long as we're talking about strangeness, if I'm running xmms while
surfing the web, and I switch tabs in Galeon, the music gets interrupted.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl