[CLUE-Tech] Terminal Crash Madness!

mgushee at havenrock.com mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri Mar 7 18:57:04 MST 2003

On 7 Mar 2003 at 17:57, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> As long as we're talking about strangeness, if I'm running xmms while
> surfing the web, and I switch tabs in Galeon, the music gets interrupted.

I'm not sure that's strange. I have similar things happen quite
often. A computer sound card doesn't really qualify as professional-
quality audio equipment, and more to the point, it isn't a stand-
alone device: it has to share CPU, bus, and other resources with
other subsystems. And playing sound is actually one of the most CPU-
intensive things you can do, so even small demands from other
processes will tend to disrupt the sound player.

Or do you mean that switching tabs, but *not* other seemingly-
equivalent GUI events, interrupt the sound? In that case maybe it is
a little strange. I wonder if somehow tab-switching is an
unexpectedly expensive operation?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO USA