[CLUE-Tech] wheel

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Mon Mar 10 02:07:03 MST 2003

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 11:14:21PM -0700, David Anselmi wrote:
> Dave Price wrote:
> [...]
>
> > sudo or the 'wheel group' are very well worth setting up as they make
> > you not need to type in a password everytime you want to run a
> > priveleged command.  (and i know security guys are going to slam me for
> > suggesting 'wheel' but i like it, and it works well here)
>
> Sudo is nice.  What can root do that wheel can't?  If the answer is
> 'nothing' then it's a bad thing.  But I don't know all the details.
>
> [...]
I only use wheel as a way to su without a password - handy for scripts
that need root access - but as it is part of the pam suite, I am certain
there is much more to the story.

> > And you gotta love tab completion - i catch myself hitting tab on MS
> > boxes, and expecting it to work.
>
> cmd.exe does file/dir completion if you start it the right way.  Use
> /f:on for files and /d:on for dirs.  Then use ctrl-f and ctrl-d to do
> the completion.  Why they bothered to copy bash in such a clumsy way is
> beyond me.

The short answer is that MS.x is still "an exploding clown suit for
DOS" which somehow morphed into a web browser that some people use for an
operating system.

aloha (another),
dave