[CLUE-Tech] Sound Card for Mandrake 9.0 - 9.1 ?

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 12:08:40 MST 2003

I just installed Mandrake 9.1/RC-2 hoping that my Mandrake sound
problems would be solved, but Mandrake still doesn't see my PCI Sound
Blaster AWE 64.   It's strange, because most distributions do.  Knoppix
3.1 finds it right off the bat.  I'm tired of doing without sound, so
I'm sort of left with a few  options:

1: Do a HD install of Knoppix.
    Pros: I like Knoppix, it finds my hardware, and it looks like a very
neat distribution with long term potential.  Many people working on it
with many variations.  Seemingly flexable
    Cons: I don't know Knoppix, the spelling dictionary is in German.
Much to learn, End result uncertain.

2: Buy a new sound card that Mandrake might recognize.
    Pros: If the new card was identified by Mandrake, than very little
brain work would be required, at least for Linux.
    Cons: Spending money needlessly.  I already have a sound card that
works with most everything other than Mandrake.  I would have to install
the drivers for Windows on all my other removable HD's.  (Every member
of my family has their own  removable HD, and they all use WinDOS 98SE.)

3: Try to install ALSA on Mandrake.
     Pros:  It might work, would be low cost.
     Cons: I know nothing about it and may run into problems.

Basically I'm a minimalist who looks for the easiest way out.  Time is
money, sometimes a lot of time may be saved by spending a little money.

Does anyone have any thoughts about which path I should take?

Other than that, Mandrake 9.1 is going to be very beautiful and looks
totally 1st class with lots of sex appeal.