[CLUE-Tech] Sound Card for Mandrake 9.0 - 9.1 ?

mgushee at havenrock.com mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Mar 11 13:07:26 MST 2003

On 11 Mar 2003 at 9:08, Joe Linux wrote:

> I just installed Mandrake 9.1/RC-2 hoping that my Mandrake sound
> problems would be solved, but Mandrake still doesn't see my PCI Sound
> Blaster AWE 64.   It's strange, because most distributions do.  Knoppix
> 3.1 finds it right off the bat.  I'm tired of doing without sound, so
> I'm sort of left with a few  options:
>
> 1: Do a HD install of Knoppix.
>     Pros: I like Knoppix, it finds my hardware, and it looks like a very
> neat distribution with long term potential.  Many people working on it
> with many variations.  Seemingly flexable
>     Cons: I don't know Knoppix, the spelling dictionary is in German.

Though it's usually a lot easier to install an English spelling
dictionary than to troubleshoot sound cards.

> Much to learn, End result uncertain.
>
> 2: Buy a new sound card that Mandrake might recognize.

Hmm, but you already have a genuine Sound Blaster. Can't get much
more standard than that. Mandrake *should* recognize the one you've
got.

> 3: Try to install ALSA on Mandrake.
>      Pros:  It might work, would be low cost.
>      Cons: I know nothing about it and may run into problems.

I switched to ALSA a while back. The initial setup took some effort,
but I think it was worthwhile. With OSS, there were some sound card
features that were supposed to be supported, but that I could never
get to work (MIDI, for example); sound quality was also poor for some
applications. Sometimes sound just wouldn't work at all, for no
apparent reason. ALSA has solved those problems for me.

Also note that, though you probably have to do the configuration
manually, ALSA has very good card-specific documentation; following
the documented procedures, I was able to correctly set up sound on
the first try. With OSS, there was always an element of trial and
error.

> Does anyone have any thoughts about which path I should take?

You didn't mention troubleshooting your card under Mandrake. I'm not
sure exactly how to do it, but it should be possible, and it might
end up being easier than the other options. Maybe somebody else will
have specific advice on that.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO USA