[CLUE-Tech] Sound Card for Mandrake 9.0 - 9.1 ?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Mar 11 13:26:21 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 13:07, mgushee at havenrock.com wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2003 at 9:08, Joe Linux wrote:
>
> > I just installed Mandrake 9.1/RC-2 hoping that my Mandrake sound
> > problems would be solved, but Mandrake still doesn't see my PCI Sound
> > Blaster AWE 64.   It's strange, because most distributions do.  Knoppix
> > 3.1 finds it right off the bat.  I'm tired of doing without sound, so
> > I'm sort of left with a few  options:
> >
> > 1: Do a HD install of Knoppix.
> >     Pros: I like Knoppix, it finds my hardware, and it looks like a very
> > neat distribution with long term potential.  Many people working on it
> > with many variations.  Seemingly flexable
> >     Cons: I don't know Knoppix, the spelling dictionary is in German.

Option 1a:

Boot Knoppix. See how it has the soundcard configured, try to replicate
the setup under Mandrake. Copy /etc/modules.conf to a floppy and try it
out on Mandrake.

I have a ISA Sound Blaster AWE 64, I think, and I've had no problems
configuring it with Mandrake or SuSE... SuSE has extra-nice features for
managing the soundcard, IMHO.

Also, try reporting the problem to Mandrake using bugzilla:
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/

Good luck,

Zonker
--