[CLUE-Tech] Sound Card for Mandrake 9.0 - 9.1 ?

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 20:03:49 MST 2003

Collins Richey wrote:

>I have a genuine SoundBlaster 16PCI, and the kernel modules could not raise a peep out of it.  ALSA, on the other hand, works just fine.
>
>--
>Collins

How hard is ALSA to install?  I looked at the ALSA web site and got
spooked.  I just don't know enough about sound card configuration when
the disto doesn't see the card.  I do believe this card worked with
earlier Mandrake installations,  I even tried reinstalling 8.2, but
sound didn't work, so I don't know when it was that Mandrake worked it
must have been in the 7's.

For now here is my kludge solution:  Run Mandrake 9.1 and then boot
Knoppix from the CD if I actually need sound.  I just love the Mandrake
look and feel.  I did a Knoppix HD install, but that seemed to require a
lot of hand configuration too.  I just don't seem up to it anymore.
Somedays  I reve about going out and just buying a Mac - something that
in the end I know I will never do.

Maybe tomorrow, I will see it in fresh light.