[CLUE-Tech] Problem Configuring PPP Compression.

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Mar 12 13:23:28 MST 2003

Hi Folks.

 ... The Saga Continues ...

After doing about 10 kernel compiles yesterday, I finally got ppp working
again.

Here's the thing. If I enable either of the ppp compression options
(Network Device Support) then when the ppp.o module loads, um, well, it
doesn't load, actually. A depmod -ae shows that ppp_deflate and one other
(either ppp_async or ppp_generic, I think) complain about unresolved
symbols for zlib and slhc. Now, slhc is part of the ISDN config pieces, I
guess -- it isn't anywhere explicitly in the make xconfig sections. And
zlib [de]compression is under Library Routines. But, when the ppp
compression options are "on" (set to M), the library routines pieces are
disbled in the config dialog.

So, I think there's some sort of bug in the kernel config, but I can't
find any mention of this in the LKML, or comp.os.linux.* or just general
web searching.

Now I admit this is at some level just curiosity on my part, because I'm
uncertain of the point in enabling software compression on a V.90 modem
link, since, IIRC, V.90 uses hardware compression anyway. Nonetheless,
it's another little piece of "huh?" hanging in the breeze that I'd like to
get tidied up if I can.

Is there any point in using ppp compression on a V.90 modem?

Has anyone gotten deep enough into their kernel config for ppp to know
what's happening with that?

Kernel is 2.4.18-14 (as delivered by RedHat)

TIA.
jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl