[CLUE-Tech] I think I got an error - (ALSA Install)

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 13:26:11 MST 2003

Okay, I think I got an error.  Is it in fact an error?  Please note even
though this says "root at Knoppix," it's actually on a Mandrake 9.1 box and
the "root at Knoppix," stuff is a DHCP artifact.  All of this points up the
need at least in my mind for a novice install fest on how to install
programs  downloaded from the internet which are more or less generic to
all Linux distrubutions.

[root at Knoppix alsa]# cd alsa-lib-0.9.1*
[root at Knoppix alsa-lib-0.9.1]# ./configure;make;make install
checking build system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking host system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking target system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.