[CLUE-Tech] I think I got an error - (ALSA Install)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Mar 12 13:37:24 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 13:26, Joe Linux wrote:
> Okay, I think I got an error.  Is it in fact an error?  Please note even
> though this says "root at Knoppix," it's actually on a Mandrake 9.1 box and
> the "root at Knoppix," stuff is a DHCP artifact.  All of this points up the
> need at least in my mind for a novice install fest on how to install
> programs  downloaded from the internet which are more or less generic to
> all Linux distrubutions.
>
> [root at Knoppix alsa]# cd alsa-lib-0.9.1*
> [root at Knoppix alsa-lib-0.9.1]# ./configure;make;make install
> checking build system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking host system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking target system type... i586-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

It looks like you either don't have a compiler installed or the user
doesn't have it in their path.  Does the command "rpm -qa | grep gcc"
return anything?

And its generally a good idea to build things as a non-root user and
then switch to root just to do the install.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483