[CLUE-Tech] I think I got an error - (ALSA Install)

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Wed Mar 12 14:14:07 MST 2003

> [root at Knoppix /]# gcc
> -bash: gcc: command not found
> [root at Knoppix /]# locate gcc
> -bash: locate: command not found
> [root at Knoppix /]# locate g++
> -bash: locate: command not found
> [root at Knoppix /]# locate cc
> -bash: locate: command not found
> [root at Knoppix /]#

Hmm... It looks as if you don't have gcc, or locate installed, oddly
enough. The
-bash: locate: command not found

Just means you don't have locate installed.  That's wierd, too.

Typically, when I install an RH box (few and far between) I'll make sure
to choose the 'devel' packages, too, since those'll get your compilers
installed.  Except firewalls, they shouldn't have compilers.

And:  it's worth mentioning that for most people, they won't need to
compile if they are going to be using it as a desktop - your windows box
doesn't have a compiler, does it?  Most people with mandrake/suse/rh use
RPMs to install packages, which makes GCC more or less unneeded.  I
personally do everything from source (ever played with gentoo? Stage one
will build itself - my alpha's been doing it for 2 days now), but then, my
roommate and many people at his work (all running linux) don't compile
their programs, they use rpms.  So it doesn't make sense for them to put
all the development utilities on their boxes if they aren't doing
development.  It's just wasted space.

So: I'd recommend installing GCC and locate, and perhaps a couple of other
perhaps missing packages to get your box a little more ready to handle
development (make sure you have kernel source installed, too, that comes
in handy) so you can get alsa working.  Sometimes you have initial
problems before you get to your intended goal.