[CLUE-Tech] ALSA Install# rpm -qa | grep gcc

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Mar 12 14:46:57 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 13:54, Joe Linux wrote:
> Ed Hill wrote:
>

> >It looks like you either don't have a compiler installed or the user
> >doesn't have it in their path.  Does the command "rpm -qa | grep gcc"
> >return anything?
> >
> >And its generally a good idea to build things as a non-root user and
> >then switch to root just to do the install.
> >
> >hth,
> >Ed
> >

> [root at Knoppix /]# rpm -qa | grep gcc
> gcc-cpp-3.2.2-3mdk
> libgcc1-3.2.2-3mdk
> [root at Knoppix /]#
>
> Is there anyway to back up on "the build"  as I "built" as "root".

Hi Joe,

I'm sorry, I really don't understand your "back up on 'the build'"
comment.

If you want to compile things, then you need to install the gcc compiler
using the appropriate Mandrake RPMs.  I'm not a Mandrake user, but it
appears that the two gcc rpms that you do currently have installed are
just libraries--not the actual compiler.

Is this a laptop?  If so, you could bring it this evening to the Golden
Hacking Society (http://www.hackingsociety.org/chapters/golden) where we
could try to get things working.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483