[CLUE-Tech] tar question

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Fri Mar 14 15:51:19 MST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Mike Staver wrote:

> Right - but I guess I was too vague with that - I'm doing this for *all*
> users with folders in the /home directory, and yes, the password files
> on both servers are exactly the same.

OK.  Try this one:

cd /home; tar czf /tmp/homes.tar.gz `find . -type d -maxdepth 1`

This assumes that all directories in /home constitute "home"
directories, and that you don't mind "./" in front of all
of the "home" directories in the tar file.

If the copied-from-machine doesn't have enough disk space
to allow creation of the /tmp/homes.tar.gz file, you could
maybe do some stunt with ssh and pipes.

cd /home; tar czf - `find . -type d -maxdepth 1` | ssh root at destination 'cd /home; tar xzf -'

Try it - I don't 100% know that will work in your circumstances,
but it worked for me.