[CLUE-Tech] tar question

Dale Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Mon Mar 17 13:07:34 MST 2003

Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> writes:

> I have a quick tar question - what is the best way to compress my entire
> /home diretory and move it to another machine while preserving all file
> attributes?

rsync is another option.

rsync --dry-run -azv --progress /home/* root at othermachine:/home/

(The --dry-run option is nice; the foot you save could be your own!)

-Dale

--
Now playing:
09-Club_Nowhere

Better to have endured moments of sheer terror, than to have died having
lived life a coward.

A good solution now is better than a perfect solution tomorrow.
- From debian-curiosa

Payin' the bills with my mad programming skills.
- Weird Al