[CLUE-Tech] fonts with Red Hat 8.0

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Fri Mar 21 12:01:13 MST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Nope, they would be wrong in anything except konsole and
> gnome-terminal.
>
> The problem is that 8.0 defaults to UTF8 support. Only gnome-terminal
> and konsole support UTF encoding, so everything else looks weird.

> export LANG=en_US

I realize this is a day late and a dollar short, but...

I think that one can force xterm to do UTF-8.  I've done some i18n work
over the last few months, and I've set all of my xterm startups (.twmrc,
.xinitrc, etc) to do things like this:

xterm -u8 -fn '-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO10646-1'

(SuSE 7.3 and 8.0)

In any case, it's worth taking a look at Markus Kuhn's UTF-8 decoder
capability and stress test' UTF-8 text page with whatever you use to
view UTF-8:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-test.txt