[CLUE-Tech] module loading question

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Mar 24 18:10:18 MST 2003

Jeremiah,

I only know how to do this on Red Hat.

To get the ip_tables module to load, you simply need to get the "service iptables
start" command to run at boot-up.

Firstly, make sure ipchains is not running and turned off.
	service ipchains stop
	chkconfig ipchains off
	modprobe -r ipchains

Nextly, make sure you've initialized iptables:
	iptables -L -n
	iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables
	chkconfig iptables on
	service iptables start

This will cause Red Hat Linux to start the iptables subsystem everytime the
system reboots.

Alternatively, you can put "/sbin/modprobe ip_tables" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
but you already knew that, and you were wondering what the "right" way to do
it was.

If this isn't what you were wondering, then I don't know the answer to your
question.

Another question I can't answer is this: How do I get ip_conntrack_ftp to load
with the iptables subsystem at reboot?  Right now I can get iptables and NAT
etc. to all start at boot-up on my Red Hat system, but I have to put the
ip_conntrack_ftp module load in /etc/rc.d/rc.local since iptables will never
modprobe that on its own, even if FTP data is detected.

Or at least I don't know how to get it to do that.  Any ideas from the list?
Without the ip_conntrack_ftp module loaded, FTP does not work from inside
the masquerade, and I think inbound FTP to the server might not work properly
either sometimes.

Thanks,
JimO

Jim Ockers (ockers at ockers.net)