[CLUE-Tech] Linux Newbie Help search

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Thu May 1 18:11:53 MDT 2003

> Primary Question: How do I transfer my book marks from ms ME to Linux
Someone said: Install Mozilla on Windows and see if there's a migrator.
Also, you could try emailing them to yourself.

> My subordinate questions:
>
> 1) How do I get a "black screen" (equivalent to Dos prompt) from the
> Linux window? (when I used a command line in the pannel, entered a
> command and then hit enter, nothing happened and my typed line wiped out.)
In RHL9: Click the hat, float System Tools, click Terminal.
Better:  right-click Terminal and click "Add this launcher to panel",
then right click the new panel shortcut and click "Move", then click
where you want it.
Alternative:  <CONTROL>+<ALT>+<F2>

> 2) How do I configure (mount) my dos partitions so that I can see them
> in Linux without disturbing their content for dos use? (during the
> instalation process I mounted the dos partitions as "/dosC" and "/dosE",
>   but they are not visible in the file manager.)
- 'su -l'
- 'fdisk -l'  <-- Record first Device where System is like 'Win95 FAT32'
- 'mkdir /dos-c'
- 'mount (the device you recorded) /dos-c'
- 'mount'  <-- Record the file-system.  Probably 'vfat'
- add an appropriate line to /etc/fstab

> 3) How do I archive the "bookmark" directory (import, export, convert)?
> so that it is useful in godzilla or netscape on Linux
(see above)

> 4) How do I communicate between computer 1 (in Linux mode) with computer
> 2 in ms ME mode through my existing hub? The internet connection through
> the hub to the Sprint wireless modem worked automatically. When both
> computers are in ms ME mode they communicate seamlessly with each other.
Describe the ME to ME communication, and I'll help you reproduce it in
Linux.

Let me also push my favorite SIG, Linux Fun-da-mentals.  We next meet on
May 7th, and we can deal with questions like that...

If you have questions about my answers, you can contact me at this email
address or (720) 334-5267.