[CLUE-Tech] Re: swap partition

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat May 3 23:26:38 MDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 22:10, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Thanks guys... that helps (I knew there was something like mkswap and
> swapon that I needed to do).  The reason I'm doing this is because I
> want to put on another operating system to play with (DOS), so I figured
> I needed it to be a primary partition for booting.  But I do have one
> other question... can I delete my current swap partition while I'm using
> linux?  I mean ideally I'd like to free up the current swap partition
> space to combine with the other partitioned space (luckily my swap
> partition is the last partition next to my unallocated space that I just
> freed up).

Yes, you can.  See "man swapon" for details.

And in the future try "man -k TOPIC" when you would like to search the
man pages for a particular topic.  For instance, "man -k swap" returns
the swapon, swapoff, and mkswap commands.  If you then read the man
pages, they will provide you with examples and links to related
commands.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD