[CLUE-Tech] swap and FreeDOS

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun May 4 23:46:31 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 16:38, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> The new swap partition was easy enough--but I haven't checked for bad
> blocks.  Is there an advantage to using a partition over a file?  If
> not, I don't see why using a partition is the default for Linux.  A file
> sounds like it makes more sense.

Performance.  By putting swap space within a file, you have to send the
swap data through an extra layer of indirection.

> Anyway, I created a 1G partition to hold DOS... but MS-DOS wouldn't
> install.  Is this because I have a 20G hard drive and I'm trying to put
> it at around the 13th G?  I couldn't get it to install at all.  So I
> installed FreeDOS instead even though that wasn't what I wanted.  But I
> can't get GRUB to boot FreeDOS.  I looked at the documentation, and I
> tried a bunch of things... and let me tell you "hiding" partitions is a
> bad idea.  I hid my Linux partition and it turned it into an Amoeba
> partition, which forced me to have to use the CD to rescue.  Right now I
> still can't boot FreeDOS, and I'm still trying to figure out how to
> install MS-DOS.  I was thinking maybe I could install MS-DOS to a
> ramdisk and dump it to a file, and then put it on the partition, but I'm
> not sure how I'd install it to a ramdisk.

Hmm.  I've had good luck with grub's "chainloader +1" when dual-booting
Win2K and WinXP with Linux.  But then I've not tried it with DOS.

Perhaps you could re-partition so that the DOS partition is closer to
the front of the disk?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD