[CLUE-Tech] What is the easiest way to move files between two computers?

bof bof at pcisys.net
Mon May 19 10:25:21 MDT 2003

Hello,

On occasion, I need to move large (multi-megabyte) files from one
computer to another. Neither system has a Zip drive or CD burner, so
using a sneakernet method is not feasible.

One of the computers is my laptop and will always be used as one of the
two systems. It will be running Linux (Red Hat or Slackware); the other
will run Windows 98, or Mac OS, or Linux. The systems are not part of a
network, and I plan on connecting them by their ethernet cards using a
crossover cable.

I don't care about security: I will be present for the transfer and once
it is done, the computers will be disconnected. Furthermore, once the
transfer is done, I will most likely not need to do it again with that
particular computer. I am looking for the easiest way to do this, so I
don't want to take a lot of time having to install programs and
configure passwords, .config files, etc. I've tried rsh and had trouble
with the passwords; I've tried SSH and gotten it to work after some
effort. But is there a faster way: can't something be done with ftp or
telnet or something else?

Any suggestions?

BOF