[CLUE-Tech] What is the easiest way to move files between two computers?

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Mon May 19 13:23:54 MDT 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:25:21AM -0600, bof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On occasion, I need to move large (multi-megabyte) files from one
> computer to another. Neither system has a Zip drive or CD burner, so
> using a sneakernet method is not feasible.

Those USB flash drives are pretty cool, work with just minor futzing
under linux (they mount as a SCSI disk).  128mb is about $50 these days,
and make a great way to carry around a Linux rescue distro, pictures
from your last trip, SSH & PGP keys, etc.

Using networking, here's my favorite idiom for moving an entire directory
tree:

cd /to/where/ever
tar cf - . | gzip -c | ssh other 'cd /place/on/other; gunzip -c | tar xf - '

You can substitute 'rsh' if need be.  This puts all the data in a compressed
pipeline, no messy tmp.tar.gz files.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net