[CLUE-Tech] RHAT 9 IMAP recommendations?

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Thu May 22 08:27:26 MDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 07:53:36AM -0600, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> Since I am a newbie at mail setup and administration, I solicit
> recommendations, warnings, and advice from the group from folks who are using
> postfix + red hat + IMAP.  I plan on using SSL for the transfer of mail and
> to protect account logins.
>
> I also appreciate other pointers to good documentation (I read the rhat
> manuals and the postfix docs).

Your choice of MTA (Postfix) has little bearing on what imap you want to
use.  Unless you have some very specific needs that the other packages you
mention can help fill, I would recommend just using the Red Hat supplied
imap.  It does both normal and secure imap, and there's almost no setup.
(I'm lying a little bit--for secure imap, there is a little setup involved,
see http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-email-mua.html)

If the RPM isn't already installed on your system (don't remember if it's
installed by default or not), just install it, then edit
/etc/xinetd.d/imaps, changing "disabled = yes" to "disabled = no".
Restart xinetd with "killall -HUP xinetd".

Best regards,
Kirk