[CLUE-Tech] Re:Gimp - Fonts Info

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 13:58:50 MDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Fonts Info
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:07 -0600
From: Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com>
To: Joe Linux <joelinux at earthlink.net>

Hi, Joe--

I think many people have issues with fonts and might
find this of use.

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 12:50:25PM -0600, Joe Linux wrote:
> I found this in file: /etc/X11/XF86Config
>
> Section "Files"
>    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
>    # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server
> independent of
>    # the X server to render fonts.
>    FontPath "unix/:-1"

Wow, that's weird. That "unix/:xxx" thing is indicating a Unix domain
socket, with 'xxx' being the port number. But I have no idea what a
value of -1 would mean. Maybe it's disabled?

> Inside of file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/fonts.cache-1 is the following text:
> "encodings" 0 ".dir"
> "Speedo" 0 ".dir"
> "TTF" 0 ".dir"
> "Type1" 0 ".dir"
> "mdk" 0 ".dir"
> "misc" 0 ".dir"

Don't know what that means either.

> The fonts seem to be in file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

Which fonts? The ones that the GIMP can't find? Or do you just mean that
that's your main font directory.

> There are these font directories pluse the one file with the contents
> listed above:
> [root at localhost fonts]# ls
> 100dpi/  75dpi/  encodings/  fonts.cache-1  mdk/  misc/  Speedo/  TTF/
> Type1/
>
> Any suggestion for the font path?

Whatever you want it to be. The easiest thing would be to just dump them
into one of the above directories and run 'mkfontdir'--then you wouldn't
have to edit any config files. But on the other hand, you probably would
have to reinstall them whenever you upgrade.