[CLUE-Tech] OldWorld G3 help

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed May 28 17:19:12 MDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 10:38:03AM -0600, Francis Maier wrote:
> Thanks for the responses so far, folks, but I'm still flummoxed about my
> partitioning problem.  What am I doing wrong?  Why won't Debian
> recognize my UFS partitions?

I would guess that the stock kernel that comes with Debian doesn't
support UFS. Looking at the configuration help file in my 2.4.18 kernel
source, I see that UFS support isn't very mature: write support is
considered "experimental." And Woody installs a 2.2-series kernel by
default.

And it's possible there's an issue with the size of the disk/location of
the partition where you're trying to install Linux. If you've been
around Linux for a while you may know that you used to have to have your
Linux boot partition (the one containing the kernel) entirely within the
first 1024 cylinders, and I think similar problems still occasionally
crop up with very large hard disks, though it's rather rare these days.
But that's on PCs. I know next to nothing about PowerPCs, so I have no
idea if they have ever had those limitations.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)