[CLUE-Tech] OldWorld G3 help

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed May 28 20:37:52 MDT 2003

Francis Maier wrote:
> Thanks for the responses so far, folks, but I'm still flummoxed about my
> partitioning problem.  What am I doing wrong?  Why won't Debian
> recognize my UFS partitions?  Should I make them free space instead of
> Unix format?  Do I have to reformmat the whole disk and start again?

UFS seems like a filesystem type to me, so it should be irrelevant to
partitioning the disk.  Any particular reason you want to use that?

What do you mean that Debian won't recognize them?  IIRC (on a PC
anyway) it runs cfdisk to partition, then for each partition you are
asked for a mount point, fs type, and so on.  It may skip those marked
UFS if it doesn't recognize them, but the partitioning should be possible.

What program runs when you select the partition step?  If it can't read
your partition table, you can try something else (the 2nd virtual
console is a shell, so you can run fdisk or whatever else is there).

You don't have to reformat anything (well, maybe the UFS, but you don't
have anything there yet, do you?)  As long as you leave the partitions
the same size all should be well.  If you can't convince any of Debian's
partitioners to work, try the OSX ones (pdisk maybe?) and see if you can
change the partition type to something Debian recognizes.  You'll get
the option to format them later which should make it more clear what is
supported.

Sorry if this is a little scattered, I don't know much about PPC either.