[CLUE-Tech] information

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu May 29 22:34:25 MDT 2003

> Turbolinux:  Was difficult to dig into the documentation.  They say
> right up front that this is optimized for Asian users, so if you have
> needs for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean support it's worth checking into.

Note:
Don't use turbolinux.  I'm migrating my company from Turbolinux to slack.
They used to be larger (pre 2000), but now they are dropping ALL US
SUPPORT and going for the Asian market. So it should be more like 'If you
live in Japan, China, or Korea, check this out'.  They just came out with
a new version for the aforementioned users.

I have.. too many turbolinux 6 machines. It was years form when the
released tl6 to when the released the new version, tl8, if I'm not
mistaken. The google group for TL has been a ghost town.  Last security
update was ages ago.  TL, in a nutshell, sucks. Completely.  If you come
across a free CD, burn it.

They had a clustering software package called 'Turbocluster'.  It was
fairly popular at one point (enough to make my company buy into it)
because it allowed you to cluster your web or ftp servers together.

Flaw:
TC will support either 'load balancing' or 'failover'.  I chose 'load
balancing'. In TC 4, load balancing meant 'switch off every few weeks'
(seriously.  I ran checks on this).  In TC 6, load balancing meant 'switch
off every so often, somewhere between 2 hours and 1 week'. It... sucks.
If the master fails (the 'switching' is the master switching from one
server to another) then all is lost.  You have to be present to fail them
over by hand.  If the slave fails: Doesn't matter, because the slave
wasn't getting touched anyway.  **sigh**.  Plus, you are forced to use
kernel 2.2.16.