[CLUE-Tech] information

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Fri May 30 01:42:27 MDT 2003

I tried Turbo as a home user some time back and found it unfriendly
because of tiny little, but very important issues similar to what you
have mentioned.  I've had good luck with recent Mandrakes, but now there
is the missing fonts in "GIMP" issue so I got Red Hat 9.0 from
http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/terms.php   This is a great
place to order linux CD's from if you don't need the books.  They may
have the boxed sets too.  As you can see the prices are cheap and the
speed and service are just fabulous.  I think I ordered over Memorial
day week end, and they came to my house in the mail on Tuesday.  Anyway
if you are simply curious about Linux, I recommend Mandrake 9.1  I
haven't tried RH 9.0 yet, but I have tried their other releases each
time one comes out, and end up going back to Mandrake mostly because Red
Hat hasn't had a fully implemented "control center"  Hopefully they have
finished it in 9.0.  You are forced into command line with RH so the
pros don't mind, but it's hard and confusing for a new comer or single
machine home user like myself who wants a fully GUI based machine.  In
that sense Mandrake is great.