[CLUE-Tech] X resolution

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri May 30 11:37:42 MDT 2003

Hello, folks--

I am having an XFree86 resolution. My monitor and video card should be
able to run at 1280x1024 (and can under Windows), but the highest res I
can get under X is 1152x864. I've googled but can't find anything that
is clearly relevant, so I thought I'd give the old CLUE gang a try.

Here's what I've got:

  Video card:  Matrox Millennium G450*, 4MB RAM
  Monitor:     ViewSonic ViewPanel VE170 (LCD)
  XFree86:     4.1.0**

  * Or it might be a G400. If it matters, I can open up the machine and
    find out for sure.
  ** Yes, I know that's a bit old. It's what comes with Debian.
    According to the docs it supports this video card, with no
    qualifications that I know of.

According to my calculations, 1280x1024 @ 24 bpp *should* work:

  Available:  4MB * 1024^2 = 4194304 bits
  Required:   1280 * 1024 * 3 = 3932160 bits [1 byte/pixel * 3 = 24bpp]

Well, maybe XFree needs to reserve more than 262144 bits for something
or other. Even so, there's no question that there should be enough VRAM
at 16bpp; but I've tried that too, and it makes no difference: I can get
1152x864 and no more. I have checked the HorizontalSync and VertRefresh
settings in my XF86Config, and they match the published specs for the
monitor.

If it were just the screen real estate, it's not that big a difference;
I could live with the lower res. But since it's an LCD monitor and its
physical resolution is 1280x1024, it looks a whole lot better at
1280x1024, so I'd really like to fix this if I can.

Any suggestions?

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.