[CLUE-Tech] Who do I surrender to?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri May 30 17:09:09 MDT 2003

On Friday 30 May 2003 04:45 pm, Francis Maier wrote:
> Is there some official Linux authority I can sign surrender papers with?
> I've been trying to install four different flavors of Linux on my
> OldWorld beige PowerMac G3 for four weeks.

Francis,

Is it possible that you have a hardware issue?

Let me tell you a story about a 486 intel motherboard I owned in 1995.  This
was a rev1 motherboard which ran 'fine' under DOS and Windows 3.1.

When I first installed a dual-boot Linux system (Slackware 3.0!), the kernel
would exhibit random core dumps.  I took it to the shop where I purchased the
RAM and MB.  They checked my RAM - no problem.  Then, the agreed to replace
the motherboard with a rev 2.  Problem solved.

I took this to mean that Linux is more sensitive to hardware issues than
Windows (of course).  But, I'm wondering if you're suffering from the same
issue.  Is it possible to swap out hardware parts to find a possible cause
for your grief?

Jeff

--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."