[CLUE-Tech] mac-fdisk questoion

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri May 30 17:17:09 MDT 2003

On Friday 30 May 2003 05:41 am, Francis Maier wrote:
> In partitioning my hard disk with mac-fdisk, I created a swap partition
> (/dev/hda12) and root partition (/dev/hda13) in the Apple_UNIX_SVR2
> format.

Hmm.  Are you sure that this is the correct file system type?  I'm not sure on
Mac hardware, but on Intel, it's always set to the type 'Linux Swap'.

> When I try to proceed with installation, activating the swap device, I
> get a message that:
>
> "The swap partition /dev/hda12 could not be activated: Cannot allocate
> memory."

This may not be a completely accurate message - I think memory may be 'virtual
memory' which is space on the physical hardware.  If it is the wrong file
system type, this makes sense to me.

> I get a similar message if I reorder the root and swap partitions.

Order does not matter.

> I'm running 768 megs of memory in my Mac.

A swap partition is used by Linux when your physical memory (768 MB) has run
out.  This is called 'virtual memory' and the operating system will page
information to the swap partition (onto an actual specially formatted file)
when you need more memory.

So, the fact that you have a good deal of physical memory is great, but it
doesn't affect your swap partition problem directly.

> What am I doing wrong?

Try another file system type.

Also, let me refer you to the following newsgroup - comp.os.linux.m68k -- It
appears to be a group for Linux-on-mac users.  If you don't know your ISPs
newsgroup server off hand, you can use http://groups.google.com/.  Here's a
link.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.os.linux.m68k

Unfortunately, I think our group has much more Intel than Mac hardware
experience.  Maybe you can search this newsgroup for answers and post a
message if you find none.

Also, keep us posted on your progress!

Regards,
Jeff
--
"Keep yourselves far from every form of exaggerated nationalism, racism and
intolerance."