[CLUE-Tech] Who do I surrender to?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Fri May 30 18:36:48 MDT 2003

On 05-30 16:45, Francis Maier wrote:
> Is there some official Linux authority I can sign surrender papers with?
> I've been trying to install four different flavors of Linux on my
> OldWorld beige PowerMac G3 for four weeks. Defeated at every turn.
> Latest update from the front, posted earlier this morning:
> _____
> Trying to install Debian on a PowerMac G3.
>
> In partitioning my hard disk with mac-fdisk, I created a swap partition
> (/dev/hda12) and root partition (/dev/hda13) in the Apple_UNIX_SVR2
> format.
>
> When I try to proceed with installation, activating the swap device, I
> get a message that:
>
> "The swap partition /dev/hda12 could not be activated: Cannot allocate
> memory."
>
> I get a similar message if I reorder the root and swap partitions.
>
> I'm running 768 megs of memory in my Mac.  What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.
> _____
>
> I am reduced to hiring a consultant, if someone can point me to a good
> Mac one.

Well, it's not Linux, but depending on what you need to do, NetBSD might
meet your needs.  This page says it supports the G3.

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the opposite sex in the
bedroom, it is suggested that the lobby be used for this purpose.
-In a Zurich hotel