[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 14:10:16 MST 2003

A few snips.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:38:13 -0600 "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:09:05 -0600
> "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 13:37, Chuck Downing wrote:
> >
> > *snip*
> >
> > > Now for the need for somebody to work up some enthusiasm.  In the last
> > > couple of years, I have tried to migrate from Windows to Linux.  With
> > > Linux, I control my
> machine, not the other way 'round. With Linux, if there's a problem, you
> can fix it.
>
> Let me ask you this. If your Windoze dialer program didn't work, what
> would you do?

> I have to add that part of the enthusiasm people have for Linux is
> precisely the freedom issue. Not just "free as in beer". There's a
> definite sense, at least for me, of being part of a larger community. With
> Windoze, I was just another user. And part of that community sense is the
> freedom to really participate, and share ideas and code.

I just got back from vacation and read through this thread (in this case the
thread has grown to be a rope or a hawser!).

Must of the replies have responded to your specific issues, Chuck.  I'll give
you my perspective.

Jed has just touched on the number one reason for using linux - the sense of
community.  Windows is a product used by many millions of people, but Windows is
closed source and nowhere is there a sense of community, because the underlying
software is just a black box that you can't open.  Linux, on the other hand, is
the product of thousands of users worldwide sharing their knowledge and working
together to build a (in most cases) better product.  When I can't figure out how
to solve a particular problem, I just post a message on this mailing list or
others, and most of the time I have an answer within hours free of charge.
Windows is great when it works, but when it stops working you have nowhere to
turn.

I have no need to migrate from Windows to linux.  In essence, I did that 6 years
ago when I put up my first linux system.  Since that time, I have used Windows
only for specific tasks.  There will always (it seems) be specific tasks that
are easier to acomplish with windows (Photoshop and high end CAD programs come
to mind).  I always keep my systems dual bootable.

You can't solve all your problems overnight.  Just work down the list, ask
questions, and learn, learn, learn.  You may find that you still need Windows
for certain tasks, but with passage of time that need will lessen as you learn
innovative new ways to accomplish old tasks.

Good luck.
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the