[CLUE-Tech] RH 9.0 network issue

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Nov 4 11:55:34 MST 2003

Crawford:

> Over time of this being up, the /etc/resolv.conf file become blank or
> associates the DNS with the gateway for the WiFi (the WAP does not do
> DHCP for reference).  The time frame has varied from an hour to most of
> the day (i.e., pretty random).

I'm not sure what could be modifying your resolv.conf file but generally
it is a DHCP client that would be guilty of that.

I am forced to use DHCP for my DSL static IP address (or my provider
will give it to someone else, even though it's static) and the DHCP
client really wants to change the resolv.conf, even though I tried to
turn off that function.

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

That "resolved" the issue, since the filesystem now believes that the
file is immutable and nobody can modify, delete, rename, etc. that
file once it's immutable.  After that it doesn't matter who/what
tries to modify it, since the filesystem won't allow it.

This assumes ext2/ext3 filesystem of course.  By the way chattr +i is
a great practical joke tool for sysadmins.  Heh.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/