[CLUE-Tech] Some CLI examples for new people

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Nov 5 22:10:17 MST 2003

Hey all,

I'm trying to show some of the CLI capabilities to people who don't
understand Linux/UNIX.  Does anyone have some examples of the various
things which can be done with the CL?

Things which might be of interest are:

1. About 2-4 commands "piped" to show a result
2. Simple administration examples, like finding, sorting or grepping for
a number of files and copying them to a specific directory
3. Files that are ?? days/months old to be archived
4. What can be done with the CLI on the Web?
5.

While I haven't done a whole lot of the above, the reason I'm asking is
I showed a lawyer, yea I know, some CLI stuff and he was amazed at some
of the simple stuff I was doing and wanted to know more, so this began
me asking the question.

I've shown:

ls; ls -al; ls -al > test (to show creating a file of output); top; cal;

all in about 3-5 minutes. Anyone got some other suggestions that could
fit into a 5-7 minute quick demo?

I'd like to put together a "show" of about 5 commands that will flow
into each other and show the power of CLI.  I'm npen to suggestions.

Kevin