[CLUE-Tech] L2TP for dial-up?

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat Nov 22 10:04:42 MST 2003

I have a dial-up account with americanisp.net.  I connect to it using
kppp.  The kppp script sends the username and password and then waits
for "PPP" which comes right before the PPP handshaking starts.

So recently something changed at the ISP and instead of sending "PPP"
they send "L2TP" (and then some handshaking starts).

Anyone ever heard of using L2TP (l2tpd on Linux, I guess) for a dialup
connection?  The stuff I see on Google seems to indicate that L2TP is a
way to tunnel PPP (normally used on serial lines) over an IP network.
So it seems to make little sense that a dial-up would use it.

Starting pppd after the "L2TP" doesn't seem to work.  Naturally Windows
XP connects just fine.

Peace,