[CLUE-Tech] L2TP for dial-up?

Robert Woods rfwoods at maxbr.com
Sun Nov 23 13:31:57 MST 2003

L2TP Stands for Layer Two Tunneling Protocol.
Look in /etc/services.

Your connection to the modem is serial hence the connection through the
modem is considered a serial connection.

Look in file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 (RedHat 9)

This file defines the conversation between your computer and the ISP. I
suspect you will find something in this file that looks like "expect PPP".

Sorry I have not used PPP for a while and I can not be more specific.

Bob

A couple of references:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialPPP.html
Seems to suggest you might also need to look in:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0

<http://linuxipsecvpn.cosoft.org.cn/resource-tommy/ipsec%CE%C4%B5%B5/VPN%20Virtually%20Anything.htm>This
site gives an
indepth<http://linuxipsecvpn.cosoft.org.cn/resource-tommy/ipsec%CE%C4%B5%B5/VPN%20Virtually%20Anything.htm>
look at L2TP.

<http://www.l2tpd.org/>This site suggests you might need additional
software to work with the protocol.

<http://www.linuxpowered.com/html/links/networking.html>This site has an
overview of Linux networking.

<http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/l2tpext-charter.html>See also this site
for more <http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/l2tpext-charter.html>info on L2TP.

http://www.linuxchick.org/cis230/8/outline.html

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/dictionary/dict-287.html

Good luck. Looks like it might be quite involved. :-(