[CLUE-Tech] OT: Windows IDE drivers.

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 20:05:16 MDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:45:52 -0600 "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:25:07 -0600
> David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:
>
> > It would seem that Windows uses chipset specific IDE drivers.  I had
> > suspected this after moving hard drives between computers and now I've
> > found an explanation:
> >
> > http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/harddrive.htm
> >
> > By contrast (and a little more on topic) Linux doesn't care a bit as
> > long as the kernel was compiled for a reasonably close CPU.
> >
> > I wonder what MS was thinking?
>
> Errrrmmm, then I've gotten the wrong idea for all of the various chipset
> options available for a kernel compile. So, those don't extend to the IDE
> controller?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe so.  As I see it the requirements
are:

1) The kernel and other programs must be compiled for a compatible architecture,
i.e. 586 will run on most any cpu.  If kernel and programs are compiled for
PIII, you won't have much luck on a lower machine.

2) The kernel must have the appropriate chipset for the motherboard, but
multiples can be compiled in.

So, you can swap to a new motherboard or compatible cpu without reinstalling the
whole bloody mess, ala WinCrap.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the