[CLUE-Tech] OT: Windows IDE drivers.

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Sat Oct 4 01:51:02 MDT 2003

>>>It would seem that Windows uses chipset specific IDE drivers.  I had
>>>suspected this after moving hard drives between computers and now I've
>>>found an explanation:
>>>
>>>http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/harddrive.htm
>>>
>>>By contrast (and a little more on topic) Linux doesn't care a bit as
>>>long as the kernel was compiled for a reasonably close CPU.
>>>
>>>I wonder what MS was thinking?
>>>

>>Errrrmmm, then I've gotten the wrong idea for all of the various chipset
>>options available for a kernel compile. So, those don't extend to the IDE
>>controller?
>>

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe so.  As I see it the requirements
>are:
>
>1) The kernel and other programs must be compiled for a compatible architecture,
>i.e. 586 will run on most any cpu.  If kernel and programs are compiled for
>PIII, you won't have much luck on a lower machine.

As far as the CPU is concerned, yes, I believe that is completely correct.

>2) The kernel must have the appropriate chipset for the motherboard, but
>multiples can be compiled in.

Yeah, the key really is "multiples can be compiled in" but the thing is
- if you don't have the multiples compiled in or modules loaded for
them, you will still have to reinstall, or go back to using a stock Red
Hat kernel for example which has everything compiled in atleast modular
level if I'm not mistaken.  Kudzu does a remarkable job of finding my
new hardware and not needing drivers for it because from what I can
tell, the Red Hat kernels have it all compiled in.  So, I would also
then have to assume my machines would run faster if I compiled my own
kernel with *only* my devices compiled in.  I think I found that to be
true back in the 2.2.X days when I would regularly compile my own
kernels whenever a new one got released.