[CLUE-Tech] Libranet 2.8 and an HSF Winmodem

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Oct 8 21:56:27 MDT 2003

Chuck Downing wrote:
[...]
> I then went to the Linuxant web site and learned that they recognize
> it as an HSF modem and recommend hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt03091800free
> before buying their $20 driver.

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html is light on info for your
laptop, but similar model numbers suggest that the Linuxant driver is
the right direction.

> I have tried every possible combination of
> hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt03091800free in rpm, deb and tar.gz.  They all fail
> because, apparently, Libranet doesn't set up the kernel libraries and
> headers in a standard way.  At the suggestion of Linuxant's make files,
> I have even tried recompiling the Libranet 2.4.20 kernel.  This fails
> with a kernel panic on start-up.  As a long-time computer jock, but
> Linux newbie, I have run out of ideas.

The deb file is most likely to work since Libranet is based on Debian.

What output do the dpkg -i and hsfconfig commands produce when you
install (I assume you're following this:
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/install.php)?  It would seem that
these two are all that are required.

If you can't get the .deb to work, you need to provide the error
messages from the make install command.