[CLUE-Tech] Libranet 2.8 and an HSF Winmodem

Chuck Downing cdowning at amigo.net
Wed Oct 8 16:36:35 MDT 2003

Hey Gang,

I recently purchased an HP ze5270 laptop based on price and availability
when I needed to get some work done quickly after a hard disk crash on my
previous box.  I didn't realize until it was delivered that it had no
serial port.  Such is life.

Now that the high priority job is done, I am trying to install and use
Libranet 2.8 instead of Winblows XP.  The hang up is trying to get the
winmodem to work.  I have used the Winblows Sysinfo to determine that it is
a Conexant 56k ACLink Modem.  I have used the scanModem script to learn
that it is probably a Smartlink modem.  This led me to try the recommended
slmdm-2.7.10, but its make step fails with some missing files.  I then went
to the Linuxant web site and learned that they recognize it as an HSF modem
and recommend hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt03091800free before buying their $20 driver.

I have tried every possible combination of hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt03091800free
in rpm, deb and tar.gz.  They all fail because, apparently, Libranet
doesn't set up the kernel libraries and headers in a standard way.  At the
suggestion of Linuxant's make files, I have even tried recompiling the
Libranet 2.4.20 kernel.  This fails with a kernel panic on start-up.  As a
long-time computer jock, but Linux newbie, I have run out of ideas.

What kind of information can I supply to get someone started advising me my
next step?  You will note that I live 100 miles from nowhere, so your
coming over for an evening is likely out of the question.  We do
occasionally come to Highlands Ranch for the week-end, so a session there
is possible, but I always find that something I desperately need is in
Leadville when we're in Highlands Ranch and vice-versa.

Thanks for any advice.

Chuck Downing
Leadville, Colorado