[CLUE-Tech] dhclient problem

Chris Greene r0x0rman at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 08:23:10 MDT 2003

I tried to forward the reply I received from the list
to work, but I did not receive it.  dhclient is not
updating /etc/resolv.conf or the one in
/etc/sysconfig/network/profile.  Here is the email I
sent someone here at work describing the problem and
what I tried:

*************
I played around with dhclient last night.  This time I
ran dhclient eth0 and everything worked except my
resolv.conf was not updated.  So I went onto my 7.3
machine and saw that it also had dhclient.  I killed
dhcpcd, ran dhclient and was able to renew my IP *and*
it also updated resolv.conf.  I even deleted
resolv.conf and reran dhclient to see if it would
recreate it and it did.  So I started poking around in
the ifup script and dhclient-script.  I saw that ifup
on 7.3 was setup to run dhcpcd and on 9.0 it was setup
to run dhclient.  The dhclient-script was a lot
different on 7.3 and 9.  On 9.0 I found the part of
the dhclient-script that wrote to resolv.conf and
noticed it was wrapped in an 'if' statement that
required two variables to be set.  I commented out the
if statement to see if one of those variables was not
set causing the resolv.conf file to not be written to.
 I restarted dhclient and checked resolv.conf and saw
that this time it had been created, but the nameserver
field was blank.  Since this was empty, the if block
was never entered and resolv.conf was never written
to.  Now I just need to figure out why, on 9.0, I'm
not receiving $nameserver from the dhcp server or if
it is being called something else.  I think I'm going
to subscribe to the dhcp mailing list and ask around.
I looked in the archives and everyone was wanting to
know how configure dhclient to *not* write to
resolv.conf...I'll let you know if I find out
anything.

I couldn't subscribe to the list dhclient list at
ics.org as I receive a page cannot be displayed error
upon submit.

The person who replied gave me a link to check out.
Do you mind sending that to me again?  Thanks.