[CLUE-Tech] OOo styles

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Wed Oct 22 14:32:25 MDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:44:45PM -0600, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 07:55, Jeff Cann wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 October 2003 6:13 am, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > > Does anyone know how I can apply hotkey combinations to various styles
> > > so I can just hit Ctrl+1 (or something) for a level 1 heading, Ctrl+2
> > > for a level 2 heading, and so on? I've looked quite a bit and I haven't
> > > found it yet.
> >
> > I don't think you can map keys to styles, although I know you can remap menu
> > items to your preferred set of keyboard shorts.
>
> Crap. I could swear that used to be available in Star Office...
>
> > Since you're writing in OO, which stores in XML format, couldn't you just
> > continue to use VIM, write your book in docbook XSD and then write a style
> > sheet to render the OO XML?  Probably a lot of work, but at least you could
> > map various docbook elements to VIM shortcuts.
>
> That's a thought... part of the problem with that would be that there
> are a number of styles that they use that don't fit with DocBook. That
> would also mean I'd have to add elements to DB or something...
>
> It strikes me as an odd feature to leave out... if you're going to use
> styles frequently in a document, it would stand to reason that you'd
> also want to have hotkeys that correspond to styles in the same way you
> have hotkeys that correspond to bold text, italicized text and so on...

I have, in the past, done some rudimentary scripting with OO, so I know
that possibility (scripting, not style key maps...) exists.  I would
recommend looking into the OO SDK, and perhaps even posting this
question to the OO developers.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"One World, one Web, one Program." - Microsoft(R) promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer." - Adolf Hitler