[CLUE-Tech] Getting the external IP from a wireless router

Keith Christian keithchristian at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 09:41:51 MDT 2003

Hi Folks,

I want to get the DHCP-generated IP address that my cable modem ISP
(warpdriveonline.com) has assigned to my wireless router: an SMC 2804WBR,
which is connected to a cable modem.

What I'm looking for is an internal HTTP or Telnet server in the router that
will show what the IP address on the outbound end of the router is.  I would
expect to be able to do this:

  lynx -dump "http://192.168.2.1:SOME_PORT" > external_ip_address.txt

(I may look into something like ez-ipupdate or a similar daemon program that
uses dyndns.org, if the external IP is not available "natively" from the
router.)

Thanks!

======Keith