[CLUE-Tech] apache and samba

greg at knaddison.com greg at knaddison.com
Thu Oct 23 15:21:50 MDT 2003

Quoting Keith Christian <keithchristian at yahoo.com>:

> Geek:  Use a scripting language (PHP, Perl) with database access such as
> PHP,
> and uploading the document into a MySQL, PostgreSQL, or other database, and
> serving all requests from there?

I believe ColdFusion could handle this without resorting to PHP or Perl, but it
might be a little troublesome with LOBs and such (as those suckers always are).
 The database size would be little or no greater than the size of those same
files on disk and file retrieval is generally just as quick from inside the
database as off of the file system.

> Geekier: If that's too involved, then I agree with the other guys suggesting
> CRON job, or a shell script that is triggered automatically at the
> conclusion
> of any new upload, such that this new upload is copied to all the
> servers...since NFS appears out of the question for the Win32 server.

This idea I actually kinda like.  The shell script could be called from a
ColdFusion  <CFEXECUTE > tag and copy the file to the other two servers.  I'd be
a little worried about names and versions and such, but it's interesting for sure.

Greg