[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

black at galaxy.silvren.com black at galaxy.silvren.com
Fri Oct 24 14:13:25 MDT 2003

Every now and then a dose of reality is good, even for Linux enthusiasts
:)

First off, I am not going to answer any of your questions but instead
give unsolicited commentary on the state of Linux. If you're still
interested, read on.

This is exactly why Linux has had a slow uptake with the masses. To a
certain extent I totally agree - why should I spend twice as long making
it work with Linux than on Windows?

The reason I use Linux is for all the tools and features that Windows does
NOT have. Things like regexps, a real shell, and text utilities.

Mostly what I use Windows for is games and watching all the video clips
that sneak into my email. Linux gaming is very limited, and to be honest
I've not really bothered to try most of the video apps under Linux since
there's Samba.

How many of you CLUEbies do the same thing?