[CLUE-Tech] Enthusiasm for Linux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Oct 27 18:01:48 MST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:37:14 -0700
Chuck Downing <chuckdowning at earthlink.net> wrote:

> With Libranet 2.8/Debian 2.4.20, pon and diald respond only every other
> time (God knows why?).  When this happens, Pan continues to say that
> there is no connection.  To get Pan to recognize the connection, I must
> quit and restart, which causes all of the flagged messages to be reset.
> And around and around she goes, nobody knows...
> The problem is intertwined.  The ISP which does Usenet also charges by
> the hour.  I have only one phone line to the house, which I share with
> my live-in spouse.  Even if I manually shut down the connection, Pan
> doesn't recognize it when I reconnect.  I can't tell where to start with
> bug reports, etc., because it's not clear whether the problem is with
> Pan, Libranet, Debian, or me.

Well, I'd say pick one. Here's where you can get started with the
Pan-Users mailing list:

I haven't been on that list for a while, so I hope they're as helpful as
they were back when I was active. They should be able to help you with
determining whether it's a bug in Pan, or cockpit error. ;-) At least for
how Pan works/doesn't for you.

The intermittent dialer issue, I'm afraid nothing pops into my head, other
that the usual check of /var/log/messages for any errors. There are
probably some options you can supply to turn up the debugging output.

HTH.
jed